Information security MTAT.07.028
The aim of the course is to give the students an overview of practical information security problems and to teach the students to recognise the problems / threats related with information security.
After this course the student:
- can assess password complexity and knows how to manage passwords
- has an overview of authentication methods and usages of cryptography
- knows where and how data encryption is used
- knows how to maintain anonymity
- has an overview of ways to back up data
- recognizes simple social engineering attempts
- has a technical overview of the Estonian ID-card and e-voting
- understands security risks involved in using smart devices
- has an overview of technical, web-based and wireless (WiFi) attacks
- knows how to send encrypted and signed e-mails
Information security is a 3 ECTS course with a differentiated final assessment. Each group of topics has a homework that also involves extra reading. The course ends with an exam. More info about the exam can be found from the menu on the left: exam.
- Kristjan Krips
- Riivo Talviste
- Toomas Krips
The grading is done in the standard way using the 100 point scale. The grade is composed of two main parts, where the first part consists of results of the homework tasks (50p), an essay (5p), tests (5p) and the second part consists of the result of the exam. It is possible to get up to 60 points before the exam and at most 40 points from the exam. The student has to collect at least 40 points in order to be allowed to attend the exam. More information about the homework tasks, tests and the essay can be found from the menu on the left: Homework.
- A - excellent (91 -100%)
- B - very good (81 - 90%)
- C - good (71 -80%)
- D - satisfactory (61 - 70%)
- E - pass (51 - 60%)
- F - fail (0 - 50%)