Readings & Resources
- Manuel Laguna and Johan Marklund. Business Process Modeling, Simulation and Design, Prentice Hall, 2004. (esp. Chapters 1, 2, 5, 6)
- Marlon Dumas, Wil van der Aalst, Arthur ter Hofstede (Editors). Process-Aware Information Systems: Bridging People and Software Through Process Technology, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
Readings (Examinable for Masters of ETM only)
- M. Hammer. "Deep Change: How Operational Innovation Can Transform Your Company". Harvard Business Review, April 2004.
- P. Harmon. How Do Processes Create Value?. BPTrends Newsletter, February 2011.
- P. Harmon. Analyzing Activities BPTrends Advisor, April 2003.
- P. Harmon. Six Sigma Today. BPTrends Newsletter, June 2003.
- P. Harmon. Business Processes at a New Company: What Do You Do First?. BPTrends Newsleter, October 2004.
Other Readings (recommended, non-examinable)
- M. Jansen-Vullers and H. Reijers. Business Process Redesign for effective e-commerce processes in the service industry. BETA Working Paper Series, WP 105, 42 pages, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, 2003.
- P. Harmon. Business Process Architecture and the Process-Centric Company, BPTrends Newsletter, March 2003.
- W.M.P. van der Aalst et al Business Process Mining: An Industrial Application Information Systems, vol. 32 No. 5, pp. 713-732, 2007.
- R.S. de Mans et al. Process Mining in Healthcare: A Case Study. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Health Informatics (HEALTHINF'08), pages 118-125.
Recommended web sites
Tutorials and lecture notes
- BPM tutorial (lecture notes by Michael zur Muehlen)
- Workflow Course (lecture notes by Wil van der Aalst)
- BPMN Poster
- BPMN Self-Test Berlin edition
- BPMN Community
- BPMN Self-Test, Bruce Silver edition
- Introduction to BPMN
- BPMN Stencils for Visio (I recommend Frank Puhlmann’s stencil)
- Signavio Process Modeler
- Queuing Toolpack
- BizAgi Process Modeler
- TIBCO Business Studio
Note: As a University of Tartu student, you can obtain a free Visio license from MSDN academic alliance. Also, a copy of IBM Websphere Modeler will be distributed to students in the practical sessions.