- 15.02.19: Introduction - Organization
- 22.02.19: Introduction - Geometry and Transformations
- 01.03.19: Introduction - Shading and Lighting
- 08.03.19: Introduction - Shaders Workshop (Handout, Tasks)
- 15.03.19: Depth of Field #1: Blurs and Convolution (up to slide 110)
- 22.03.19: Depth of Field #2: Circular Separable DoF
- 29.03.19: Facial Animations — Priit Paluoja
- 05.04.19: Ats Kurvet's Job Shadowing in the CGVR Lab
Ats will show you the tools he uses for his computer graphics work.
- 12.04.19: Realtime Weather Rendering — Kristo Männa
- 19.04.19: Good Friday (holiday, no seminar)
- 26.04.19: Environment Design in 90 Minutes by Jaanus Jaggo (build)
- 03.05.19: The CGVR Lab Field Trip (slides)
- 10.05.19: Texturing — Saumitra Bagchi
- 17.05.19: Academic Poster Analysis Workshop (pre questionnaire, responses, R-s table)
- 24.05.19: Project Expo (14:15 - 18:00)
Together with CGP students
- 31.05.19: The Student Project Contest
Go to the poster session and support your fellow students
- 01-02.06.19: Thesis Defense Practice (TBA)
 introductory topics - these include introduction to OpenGL and WebGL, standard graphics pipeline, vertex transformations, colors, lighting and shading models.
- Priit Paluoja — Facial Animations, 29.03
- Kristo Männa — Realtime Weather Rendering, 12.04
- Saumitra Bagchi — Texturing, 10.05
Some arbitrary possible topics
- Color blending – What happens when there are transparent objects in your scene?
- Lighting models – What are the common models? Where and when are they used?
- Texturing – How can one sample from a texture? What kinds of artefacts may appear?
- Curves – Why are they important in CG? What about curved surfaces?
- Global illumination – Pick one or compare different methods: Radiosity, path tracing, photon mapping.
- Realtime realistic rendering – Provide an overview of the common methods or pick some effect (light, wetness, fog, fur / hair, skin) and find out how it's rendered realistically in real time.
- Non-realistic rendering – Where is it used and how is it achieved? Realtime vs prerendered?
- Tessellation – How can this be done in OpenGL 4?
- Post-processing effects – What effects are there? When and how are they used?
- Procedural generation (PCG wiki) – Where and how is it used? How to apply procedural textures to procedurally generated meshes?
- Physically-Based Shading – What is it? Why is it important to understand physical properties of materials for shading? What games / game engines use it?
- Rendering in VR – What extra considerations are in VR? How do different technologies overcome them?
- Vulkan – What can be done with it? Why is it useful? How to Vulkan?
- Subsurface scattering – What is it? How it is implemented? What does it solve?
- Reflections and caustics – What are the modern techniques, which do those?
- GLSL vs HLSL – What are the differences? How are both used?
- Use case study – Find out in detail how graphics are done in one game or movie.
- Motion capture – What are the difficulties today? Best budget setup for it?
- Modern GPU architecture – How are GPU-s built today? What are they optimized for? E.g. Vega, Kepler, Pascal.
- Graphics on consoles / smartphones – What limitations are there in consoles or embedded systems vs the PC? How to overcome them compared to the PC approach?
- Tileable Textures – What methods are there for creating those? Manual vs procedural?
- Ray Tracing with RTX – What can be done with Nvidia's RTX cards?
- Occlusion Culling – How is this achieved? What data structures are used?
- Volumetric Rendering – How to simulate volumetric light transport? Fog, fire rendering?
- Facial Animations – How is it achieved? What are the modern, cheapest, professional solutions?
Find more materials and ideas from the CGVR Lab's recommended literature list.