Once upon a time one idea came to my mind. I've found that Unreal 4 Engine technology became open-source DK.
I realized, that so powerful engine can be a good way to meet with Computer Graphics and get some experience.
I've chosen 2D type of project, because it's a good way to meet CG for the first time as a beginner.
The plan is:
1) Download Unreal 4 engine DK.
2) To find enough lessons for beginners.
3) To find & install graphic redactor (something like Adobe Photoshop).
4) To find & meet simple lessons of graphic redactor processes.
5) Make some experimental micro-projects to improve skill (make game-input-ready object).
6) Whole project will be as improvisation, depending from my experience growing up.
All my micro-experiments will be added there with comments and screenshots.
Milestone 1 (21.09)
- Tried out initial 2D side-scroller tutorial
- Drew the walk and jump animations for the main character
Also, it takes too much time. Unfortunatelly, guides I use - for already developers who had enough experience of developing in past.
After some experiments, my game characted disappeared, because I could not make animation (but i still have splits separated & ready to attach. This still is my problem)
Actually, found how to bind keys to movement...
For better experience I downloaded one 50% done project (thx to https://habrahabr.ru/ forum), and had some experience with it. Screenshot there. I guess, that it's more effective to divide some elements from completed project for understanding how does it works.
Found interesting fact: my plan is totally ruined, cause made some mistakes actually in the start - I had to start my project from the different sequence:
1) objects. almost all of them 2) objects physics 3) level architecture 4) level logic 5) textures 6) animations
Will need to make everything on paper 1st, what exactly do I want to make.
Can add development notes here, or remarks on the progress / result
Milestone 2 (05.10)
- Level architecture with textures
So, thx Internet for many open-source materials, like splits, textures and guides.
Actually, most of textures and splits were taken from there ^
Milestone 3 (19.10)
- Fix the problem of sprites not showing up - unsuccessful
I was trying to search good-detailed guides to fix my main problem with sprites.
Every next step, every next try gives more and more problems -_-
- Continue texturing the level - same status
In theory, textures are made correctly, but can't understand, why are they not showed in the Play mode.
- Watch ~2h worth of tutorials about the needed topics done
Found much video-guides, different channels on YouTube about UE4 game developing. Unfortunatelly, these videos sometimes are missing something important steps.
- Optionally: Add an object on a platform in the level done?
Test-object was added to the game platform. It shows nothing while PlayMode.
!!! Milestone 4 (2.11) WASTED
Milestone 5 (16.11)
1) Try to add dynamic object done
Finally, I´ve found a way to make object that can confirm physics. One platform spawning near my game character and starts falling down. Interesting moment, that this falling object ignores all other objects, just flying throw everything down.
Also, little animated object (candle) finally is visible and also movable.
2) Try to add animations for game character (Falling, jumping) almost done
So, this is pretty hard. Blueprints is a powerful source of creative, but it`s very hard to build function well, without mistakes. My game character could normally jump and move in previous experiment, but now all animations (except idle) stacked, don´t want to work as required.
Finally, I can extract sprites correctly, making flip-books and more.
Compilation system says everything is ok, but as result - new animations doesn´t work. Gonna solve this problem later.
Milestone 5 (30.11)
1) Fix blueprints (for actual animations) DONE Actually they work very well, jumping, falling, moving.
2) To make simple but interesting level (design) DONE
A little testzone with ready-to-use elements like:
2. Moving platform 3. Some animated elements (fire, text, background).
3) To create enemy NPC Failed
This moment need full refactoring. Will be presented in the final project presentation :(
4) To make game character destructible. Same as n.3
NEW ABILITY - our game character can jump on the walls :)
NEXT MEETING (.. . ..)
2) Simple enemy
3) Refactored game character
4) HUD (HP)