Call for participation
16th Estonian Summer School in Computer and Systems Science (ESSCaSS 2017)
- Dates: August 20-24 2017 (Sun-Thu)
- Location: Jäneda Manor, Estonia
- International summer school for PhD and MSc students, postdocs, faculty
Background and Objectives
The Estonian Summer School in Computer and Systems Science is an annual international event promoting interdisciplinary education of graduate students specialising in (but not limited to) computer science, systems science, software engineering, artificial intelligence, and bioinformatics. These schools carry an important role in doctoral education in Estonia.
The programme of an ESSCaSS school consists of short courses by renowned specialists accompanied by a student session of short talks and poster presentations.
- Audris Mockus - From Software Engineering to Evidence Engineering
- Carl Henrik Ek - Machine Learning: beliefs, models and inference
- Kalle Lyytinen - Digital Innovation Management: Reinventing Innovation Management Research in a Digital World; Metahuman systems- a new socio-technical challenge; “Computing” Requirements for Open Source Software: A Distributed Cognitive Approach
- Jaakko Hollmén - Machine learning: predictive analytics in health and environment
Presentations on spotlight topics
This year there will be additional intriguing presentations:
- Starship Technologies - "under the hood" technologies.
- CyberSecurity serious games initiative on "Locked Shields"
- Discussion on reproducibility in science lead by PhD students
Posters and Student Presentations
The school will have sessions for poster presentations and talks from participants. Please register your tentative topic at the online registration form. We will send the notification and ask for poster abstracts at the beginning of August from the accepted participants.
- Early bird registration: July 2 (Sun)
- Notification: July 10th (Mon)
- Late registration last deadline: Aug 6 (Sun)
Registration and Cost
Registration to summer school has ended.
The participation fee is 320 EUR for early bird and 380 EUR later.
- the school materials,
- full board and lodging for the duration of the summer school,
- transportation to and from Tallinn and Tartu by bus.
Students are expected to contact their supervisors or department heads about covering the registration fee.
who are members of ICT doctoral school either in the of Tartu University or Tallinn University of Technology - you do not have to pay registration fee. It will be covered from University of Tartu ASTRA project PER ASPERA Doctoral School of Information and Communication Technologies.
Please mark the option "I'm a member of ICT doctoral school. ICT doctoral school will cover my participation fee" in the registration form .
Lists of the members of the ICT doctoral schools are available here:
- Tallinn University of Technology ICT doctoral school members
- University of Tartu ICT doctoral school members
, if you are supervising one or more of the ICT doctoral school members, your participation fee will also be covered from University of Tartu ASTRA project PER ASPERA Doctoral School of Information and Communication Technologies. Please mark that you are the supervisor of a PhD student who is a member of ICT doctoral school in the registration form .
are very welcome to participate summer school. University of Tartu ASTRA project PER ASPERA Doctoral School of Information and Communication Technologies will cover the participation fee of a limited number of master's students.
Venue and travel
There are direct flights to Tallinn from many cities in Europe by many different carriers. Alternatively, one can travel to Riga, Latvia and from there by bus to Tartu, or alternatively, to Helsinki, Finland and from there by ferry to Tallinn. For more detailed travel information, please take a look at the travel information web page at IoC.
There will be bus transfer from Tallinn and Tartu on the arrival day Sunday 20th, and back after the school ends.
- Jaak Vilo (University of Tartu), chair
- Marlon Dumas (University of Tartu)
- Meelis Kull (University of Bristol)
- Sven Laur (University of Tartu)
- Konstantin Tretyakov (University of Tartu)
- Helger Lipmaa (University of Tartu)
- Innar Liiv (Tallinn University of Technology)
- Tarmo Uustalu (Tallinn University of Technology)
- Jaak Vilo (University of Tartu), chair
- Eva Pruusapuu (University of Tartu), administrative tasks
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +372 50 49365
- Facebook page for ESSCaSS
The organisers of ESSCaSS'17 wish to thank the supporters and sponsors:
- University of Tartu, Institute of Computer Science