- 06.09.19: Introduction - Organization
- 13.09.19: Introduction - Geometry and Transformations
- 20.09.19: Introduction - Shading and Lighting
- 27.09.19: Introduction - Shaders Workshop (Handout, Tasks)
- 04.10.19: No seminar. Go to the ICS day on 03.10 instead
- 11.10.19: No seminar.
- 18.10.19: Fur Rendering — Mykhailo Nitsenko (code, PDF)
- 25.10.19: DBV Visual Effects — Kristo Männa (Guest)
01.11.19: Luka Tsulaila — UI Management in Unity
- 08.11.19: Space Partitioning — Jens-Stefan Mikson
- 15.11.19: Use Case Study: Journey - Effects and Terrain — Madis Janno (PDF)
- 22.11.19: Procedural Generation — Lauri Kongas (PDF)
- 29.11.19: Augmented Reality Frameworks — Mahdi Mohebbian
- 06.12.19: CGVR Lab Field Trip (slides)
- 13.12.19: Peeter Nieler from Criffin
- 20.12.19: Project Expo (14:15 - 18:00)
Together with CGP students
 introductory topics - these include introduction to OpenGL and WebGL, standard graphics pipeline, vertex transformations, colors, lighting and shading models.
- Mykhailo Nitsenko — Fur Rendering, 18.10
Luka Tsulaila — UI Management in Unity, 01.11
- Jens-Stefan Mikson — Space Partitioning, 08.11
- Madis Janno — Use Case Study: Journey - Effects and Terrain, 15.11
- Lauri Kongas — Procedural Generation, 22.11
- Mahdi Mohebbian — Augmented Reality Frameworks, 29.11
- David Bruno Baptiste Louis Andugar — Subsurface Scattering, 06.12
Some arbitrary possible topics
- Color blending – What happens when there are transparent objects in your scene?
- Lighting models – What are the common models? Where and when are they used?
- Texturing – How can one sample from a texture? What kinds of artefacts may appear?
- Curves – Why are they important in CG? What about curved surfaces?
- Global illumination – Pick one or compare different methods: Radiosity, path tracing, photon mapping.
- Realtime realistic rendering – Provide an overview of the common methods or pick some effect (light, wetness, fog, fur / hair, skin) and find out how it's rendered realistically in real time.
- Non-realistic rendering – Where is it used and how is it achieved? Realtime vs prerendered?
- Tessellation – How can this be done in OpenGL 4?
- Post-processing effects – What effects are there? When and how are they used?
- Procedural generation (PCG wiki) – Where and how is it used? How to apply procedural textures to procedurally generated meshes?
- Physically-Based Shading – What is it? Why is it important to understand physical properties of materials for shading? What games / game engines use it?
- Rendering in VR – What extra considerations are in VR? How do different technologies overcome them?
- Vulkan – What can be done with it? Why is it useful? How to Vulkan?
- Subsurface scattering – What is it? How it is implemented? What does it solve?
- Reflections and caustics – What are the modern techniques, which do those?
- GLSL vs HLSL – What are the differences? How are both used?
- Use case study – Find out in detail how graphics are done in one game or movie.
- Motion capture – What are the difficulties today? Best budget setup for it?
- Modern GPU architecture – How are GPU-s built today? What are they optimized for? E.g. Vega, Kepler, Pascal.
- Graphics on consoles / smartphones – What limitations are there in consoles or embedded systems vs the PC? How to overcome them compared to the PC approach?
- Tileable Textures – What methods are there for creating those? Manual vs procedural?
- Ray Tracing with RTX – What can be done with Nvidia's RTX cards?
- Occlusion Culling – How is this achieved? What data structures are used?
- Volumetric Rendering – How to simulate volumetric light transport? Fog, fire rendering?
- Facial Animations – How is it achieved? What are the modern, cheapest, professional solutions?
Find more materials and ideas from the CGVR Lab's recommended literature list.