MTAT.03.325 Software Product Management
Coordinator: Fredrik Milani (milani ät ut . ee)
This course combines the business perspectives of software product management, beginning with an initial idea to a business model, assessing the new software product's financial viability, and successfully managing a software product. The course covers business model generation using the widely used and respected business model canvas with particular focus on value proposition (product/service), business case analysis, the importance of design, communication, risk management, road mapping and release planning:
- Be able to understand, analyze and develop a business model (using the business model canvas) for a software product.
- Be able to set up, understand and conduct a business case analysis using most common metrics.
- Gain a basic understanding of how to manage a software product successfully.
- Gain a good understanding of different disciplines related to the software product manager (such as user experience, risk management, internal and external communications, road mapping and release planning).
This course is entirely based on Moodle, and as such, please log in to Moodle to access all relevant and updated course-related information. This course will be delivered to the students through the following channels.
- Lectures – Theory with examples are presented during sessions.
- Practical Sessions – The theory provided during the lectures is applied to case studies.
- Partially Online – The students are referred to optional materials (texts and videos) as supplementary to the lectures and practicals.
- Assignments – There will be six quizzes and a project assignment.
The students are expected to dedicate an average of 8-9 hours per week of which 4 hours are in lectures and practical sessions every week. NB! Please notice that the amount of homework and quizzes increases by the end of the course, plan to work on your project (in advance) accordingly.
The main forum for communication (when not in lectures or sessions) is the online forum of Moodle.