LTAT.06.008 Cloud Computing
The Cloud computing paradigm has revolutionized the computer science horizon during the past decade and has enabled the emergence of computing as the fifth utility. It has captured significant attention of industry, academia, and government bodies. It has emerged as the backbone of the modern economy by offering subscription-based services anytime, anywhere following a pay-as-you-go model. This has instigated:
- shorter establishment times for start-ups,
- creation of scalable global enterprise applications,
- better cost-to-value associativity for scientific, big data, and high-performance computing applications
- different invocation/execution models for pervasive and ubiquitous applications.
This course aims to provide students with an overview of the cloud computing domain, different types of cloud services, distributed data processing on the cloud, along with the latest developments in the field such as Serverless computing and Edge computing. The course will conclude with a thorough discussion on future research directions in the cloud computing domain.
The lab work in this course involves a significant amount of programming. Students will work with:
- Java programming language (MapReduce lab)
- Python programming language (Spark, PaaS and FaaS labs).
- Linux command line (IaaS, Load Balancing, etc.)
Organization of the course
Lecturer: Pelle Jakovits, Narva mnt 18, 3040 (jakovits ät ut . ee), +372 737 6419
- Shivananda Poojara, Narva mnt 18, 3030 (poojara ät ut . ee)
- Jakob Mass, Narva mnt 18, 3030 (jakob.mass ät ut . ee)
- Souvik Paul
- Tuesday 10.15 - 12.00 (Broadcast live in panopto.ut.ee)
- Wednesday 16:15 - 18:00 (1. group, Souvik Paul, Pelle Jakovits)
- Thursday 10:15 - 12:00 (2. group, Jakob Mass)
- Thursday 16:15 - 18:00 (3. group, Shivananda Poojara)
- Option 1: Tuesday 25 May - at 10-12
- Option 2: Tuesday 1 June - at 10-12
- Model Examination Paper (online version)
NB! You must submit 80% of the lab solutions to qualify for the Exam!
NB! Must collect at least 40% from exam!
Refer to previous semesters (Cloud Computing - LTAT.06.008):