Call for Participation
6th Estonian Summer School in Computer and Systems Science
- Lepanina, Estonia, August 26 - 30, 2007
Background and Objectives
The Estonian Summer Schools in Computer and Systems Science is a series of international summer courses, promoting interdisciplinary education of graduate students specialising in (but not limited to) computer science, systems science, software engineering, artificial intelligence, and bioinformatics.
The summer school series are organised jointly by University of Tartu, Institute of Cybernetics at TTU, and Tallinn University of Technology. ESSCaSS'07 is affiliated with Estonian Doctoral School in Information and Communication Technologies.
The summer schools have the following main objectives:
- Experienced lecturers present tutorials, introduce new ideas, approaches and developments related to computers and their usage, including topics in computer science, systems engineering, software engineering, artificial intelligence, mechatronics, bioinformatics;
- Graduate students present their research and results to receive feedback from their fellow students and lecturers.
The programme of an ESSCaSS school consists of short courses by renowned specialists accompanied by a student session of short talks and poster presentations.
The courses to be presented at ESSCaSS'07 are:
- Automatic Planning and Decision-Making
University of Birmingham, School of Computer Science.
- XML and Web Application Programming
Department of Computer Science, University of Aarhus.
- Interactive computations
Computer Science Department, Brown University.
- Service Oriented Embedded Computing
Microsoft Research, Redmond.
Posters and Student Presentations
The school will have sessions for poster presentations and talks by students. Organisers encourage all participants to submit an abstract of their research in the application form. Talks will be chosen from the submitted abstracts.
Placed at the seaside, not far from Pärnu and the Via Baltica and slightly southward from Kabli settelment, the Lepanina Hotel offers exellent opportunities for holiday spending, conferences and schooling activities in the beautiful and virgin nature, surrounding the hotel, and in its rooms of original design. Lepanina is situated just south from Pärnu, Estonia's "Summer Capital".
Tallinn, Estonia's capital, is famous for its picturesque medieval Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
There exist direct flights to Tallinn from many cities in Europe by many different carriers, including Easyjet flights from London Stansted and Berlin. Alternatively, one can travel via Riga, Latvia or Helsinki, Finland. Bus from Riga to Tallinn will pass Lepanina and Helsinki is connected with Tallinn by over 30 ferries a day, taking from only 1h 30 min to 3 h to cross. There will be a bus transport organised from Tallinn to Lepanina on the arrival day Sunday 26th, and back after the school ends.
- Application deadline: June 22nd
- Notification: June 28th
- Participation fee due: August 16th (details on the web site)
Registration and Cost
The participation fee is 260 EUR (4000 EEK). Fee includes the school materials, full board and lodging for the duration of the summer school, and transportation to and from Tallinn by bus.
To apply, please fill in the online registration form. Please apply early; the number of participants is limited. Preference will be given to early applicants. Organisers will also reserve the right to cut the application time if much oversubscribed.
Students of the Tallinn University of Technology and University of Tartu are expected to contact their supervisors or department heads about covering the registration fee. Attendance by members of the ICT doctoral school will be covered by the school. The University will cover the fee for MSc and BSc students accepted to the school.
- Jaak Vilo (University of Tartu), co-chair
- Juhan Ernits (Tallinn University of Technology), co-chair
- Meelis Kull (University of Tartu),
- Sven Laur (University of Tartu),
- Merik Meriste (University of Tartu),
- Leo Mõtus (Tallinn University of Technology),
- Jaan Penjam (Institute of Cybernetics),
- Tarmo Uustalu (Institute of Cybernetics),
- Jüri Vain (Tallinn University of Technology),
- Varmo Vene (University of Tartu),
- Jaak Vilo (University of Tartu), chair
- Juhan Ernits (Institute of Cybernetics / Tallinn University of Technology)
- Meelis Kull (University of Tartu)
- Konstantin Tretjakov (University of Tartu)
- Kairit Ahman (University of Tartu)
- E-mail: esscass07 at ioc dot ee
- Telephone: +372 7375425
The organisers of ESSCaSS'07 wish to thank the supporters and sponsors:
- Estonian National Development Plan projects "ICT Doctoral school" and "Strengthening the IT education in Tartu region"
- Estonian Information Technology Foundation "Tiigriülikool+ programme"
- Ministry of Education and Research "Centres of excellence in research programme"