Rock 'n' Roll
The Rock is having trouble: Indiana Jones keeps stealing his Academy Awards. In order to keep his property safe, The Rock went with a tried and true method – a rolling rock in a creepy cave. You are the rock. Get ready to roll.
UI Mocks (click to enlarge)
List of features
- One level that really does resemble a cave (self-made pixel art)
- An Indiana Jones-esque (Imbiamba) character, who has a great idle animation
- A falling boulder with impressive mass
- Platform-drawing ability
- Limitation for the drawing functionality (e.g. you can only draw paths in the immediate vicinity of the rock)
- Pillar obstacles that move up and down, which destroy you if you get crushed by them
- Win & lose conditions. You win by catching Imbiamba. You lose by getting stuck or getting destroyed by the pillars.
- Parallax background
- First iteration of title screen/main menu
- A launching mechanism that gives you a starting boost if timed correctly
List of features:
- Options menu: change SFX volume, disable drawing restriction for a more casual gaming experience
- When changing options, preferences are saved. Upon returning to the game, the player's past preferences are loaded
- XP system: after successful launches or passing obstacles, the player receives XP and is notified of it on-screen. The earned XP can be spent in the...
- Upgrades shop. Currently the player can buy different colorful cosmetic upgrades for their boulder. Much like the options menu preferences, upgrades the player has bought are saved, meaning players don't have to start over every time they launch the game. The currently equipped skin is also saved.
- Based on feedback, the camera has been zoomed out for a wider view range and the drawing restriction continues drawing on the outer drawing radius when the player tries to draw outside the restriction's range.
- Launching mechanism has new animation, Imbiamba has idle & death animation
- Different sounds, some of which are made dynamical by linking their volume to the player's velocity.
- Boulder has an extra boost ability activated by right-click. Available for free at the moment, but will be an upgrade in the future.
- More props (vines, grass) added to the cave to make it more interesting and lively.
- Added Unity Universal Render Pipeline, which enables the game to use 2D lighting.
- Added spikes, which break the boulder upon collision.
- Added original background music.
List of features
- Game now has a proper pixel-art look, with clean and crisp & discernible pixels.
- Implemented breakable walls that blow into bits when smashed.
- As recommended during the last milestone presentation, the upgrades screen is now directly accessible from inside the levels and vice versa. The player no longer has to go through the main menu screen.
- Extra boost is now an upgradable. This progress is saved.
- Fun UI transitions
- Buttons make satisfying hover and clicky sounds.
- Implemented a feature which restricts path-drawing in predefined areas, making the game more challenging.
- We took a step back and removed too gradient-ish lights, which didn't look right in a pixel art game and replaced them with sprite lights that are more appropriate-looking. These lights move, adding a bit of life to the game.
- Atmospheric fireflies.
- As recommended in the peer review, we removed the ability to draw before the starting launch of each level, as it was unnecessary and bug-inducing. Also as suggested, added a stopwatch which in the end of each level tells the player how long it took to complete the stage.
- Level selection screen with 3 brand new levels & a separate tutorial level!
- New and improved skins!
- Smashing pillars on the X-axis!