Coin Toss Game
This project is about a game, where you can toss a coin into a cup.
First person, fixed location game. The player can toss coins into a cup, certain number of times. If the amount is correct, then the player can choose a beverage and "drink it".
The real purpose of this game is to learn Unreal Engine and usable skills needed to make a good game and have a step-by-step experience in implementing a game from an idea to the real thing.
Milestone 1 (21.09) - Learn Unreal Engine
- find useful videos and tutorials, that are related to my idea
- try out some tutorial videos https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/
For the Estonian vocabulary, there is a tutorial:http://tume-maailm.pri.ee/ylikool/CG/2016/Theses/Juhend.pdf
Trying out starter projects: and finding out that suitable for me is blank or twin stick shooter
Milestone 2 (05.10) - Find an object and implement it inside the game
- starting my project
- placing simple objects: for the cup and for the coin - suitable cylinders
- coin tossing: a) direction b) height
So, now I'm getting errors and freezing windows and lost 1 hour work. Taking time and adding source control(git) to the Project. https://git-scm.com/downloads Tutorial https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Git_source_control_ Searched for the .gitignore for the Unreal Engine, because there are lot of files, that can don't need versioning and some files, that are very big https://github.com/samsheff/UE4-Gitignore/blob/master/UE4.gitignore - so downsizing.
Creating, moving, adjusting objects, is actually pretty simple.
And next thing was to figure out the coin movement. For that I was looking for a similar blueprint from the internet and found a "jump blueprint" for a ball.
I now know, that I should start the coin movement by mouseclick event or touch event. And the second thing is to have the acceleration before releasing the object. And when it is released... and that is the problem, because there should be new coordinates for object.
I have 2 problems at the moment.
- When I started, there was a floor... somehow I made it vanish.
- When I started play mode, the coin is the first object and out of the screen.
Milestone 3 (19.10) - Blueprint for the coin
- Fixing two previous problems.
- Figuring out the coin blueprint.
So in this milestone I finally understood that I have been thinking in the wrong way. Thanks to Ats, I now know how to actually deal with the blueprints. And ofcourse the coin does not have the movement.
Next two pictures are for coin blueprints
Milestone 4 (2.11) - Moving on: counting coins
Milestone 5 (16.11) - Moving on: counting coins
- sounds effects
- restart functionality
- Deleted all skeleton mesh objects and replaced the new objects.
- Discovered, that when I have a static mesh, the coin doesn't drop into the cup.
- Created a menu button, but got stuck with the problem, where the mouse is below the button.
- Customized menu button
- Searched sound effects for the Project
- Moving the coins is still problematic, tweaking the blueprint variables didn't achieve the desired effect.
- Counting Score
Milestone 6 (30.11) - refactoring the blueprints
- removing the blueprint
- creating new ones
- added sound effects
- added surroundings
- fixed double counting
- created spawn locations for coins
- created restart and quick menu
- mouse cursor changed to hand
- visible score
And the final look is this: