Bioinformatics Seminar (MTAT.03.242)
- The first meeting will take place on September 2.
- Seminars: Friday 10:15 - 12:00, (J.Liivi 2-511)
- Contacts: Anna Ufliand (anna.ufliand [at] ut.ee), Sulev Reisberg (sulev.reisberg [at] ut.ee)
- BIIT (Bioinformatics, Algorithmics, and Data Mining group) group website : http://biit.cs.ut.ee/
Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary field that combines computer science, biology, statistics and mathematics for understanding biological data.
Aims of the course (the student that has passed the course ...):
- Knows the basics of the Bioinformatics field
- Has a brief overview of what are the current trends in Bioinformatics
- Has improved his/her presentation and teaching skills
- 29th Sep - deadline of selecting the presentation topic
- 13th Oct - Deadline for project topic (only for those who also take MTAT.03.276 Bioinformaatika uurimisprojekt)
Look at the submenu on the left.
- You have to take part of the seminars. If you do not miss more than 3 seminars, you’ll get 40 points. Every further missed seminar gives (takes) 5 points less.
- You have to make a presentation on one bioinformatics topic (15 p) + prepare relevant homework for the others (10 p) + grade their homeworks (5p). The presentation topic has to be selected in time. Giving the presentation, homework and grading them is mandatory.
- You have to do the homeworks by the deadlines (30 points).
- All deadlines are strict
Prerequisites for the grading:
- Student has presented his topic in the lectures
- Student has given the homework for the others
- Student has graded the homeworks of the others
Student has passed the course if prerequisites are satisfied and the calculated score is >50 points:
Score = attending the seminars (max 40p) + given presentation (15p) + given homework (10p) + given grades (5p) + doing the homeworks (max 30p).
The resulting grade (out of 100 points) will be mapped to a grade between A and F using the standard University scale:
- 91-100 points: A
- 81-90 points: B
- 71-80 points: C
- 61-70 points: D
- 51-60 points: E
- 0-50 points: F
The aim of the presentation is to cover the chosen topic and improve your teaching skills.
Presentation topic has to be somehow related to bioinformatics. However, we encourage you to choose it by yourself. The topic has to be selected by 29th Sep - by sending the selected title to Anna or Sulev. If you need an advice for selecting the topic, ask Sulev or Anna.
The length of the presentation is expected to be 45-60 min for PhD students and 20 min for Master students.
The presentation does not have to be slides + talk only. Make it interactive, include discussions, "hands on" opportunities, surveys, etc.
NB! PhD students have to keep in mind that Master's students do not have much of Bioinformatics background. It is not a traditional project talk!
The exact schedule of the presentations will be published when the registratrion for the course has ended.
Homeworks (the number of homeworks depend on the number of registered students)
You have to prepare the homework for the others.
Expected amount of effort for doing the homeworks is 2-3 hours. Master's students have to prepare homeworks that would take up to 1.5 hours.
Homeworks have to be presented in the end of your presentation.
Homeworks are sent directly to you via e-mail in 1 week. You have to grade all the homeworks in additional 1 week and send the grades together with the correct solution to Anna or Sulev.
We have called several guest lecturers to give you the broad overview of the state-of-the-art research of the bioinformatics field.