MTAT.03.244: Software Economics (Fall 2015)
Homework 1: Business Model Canvas (15pts)
This assignment is about analysing two different companies from the perspective of the "building blocks" of their business models.
In class, you have already analysed the business model of a company (its building blocks). In this assignment you are to do the following.
- Create a Business Model Canvas for the company you have analysed in class.
- Create a Business Model Canvas for another company of your choice. It can be another company from the same industry such as a competitor or from a different industry. It could be comparison between a young and an old company, or companies that provide the same product/service but to different customer segments. You are free to choose as you please as long as it is a company.
- Compare and Contrast the Canvases: Your discussion should cover at least the following questions:
- Remember to explain the canvases properly. Don't forget to root your observations and conclusions in the canvases and the discussions we have had on the building blocks. You are to touch upon all building blocks but choose two building blocks that you analyse more in depth. For instance, if you choose to analyse "channels", your analysis should not only include the comparison of "channels" but also how this building block affects and is affected by the other building blocks.
You will be required to present the case to the class, who by now are well acquainted with business models. In your presentations, you should include a brief introduction to the canvases of your two companies and then choose two building blocks to present more in depth.
For the presentation, you are asked to;
- Clearly write the names of your group on the first slide
- Give a brief introdcution
- Compare two building blocks as discussed above
- Concluding remarks
- Limit the presentation to 8 minutes and be prepared for questions.
- Submit (word of pdf file) of max 7 pages including figures where you answer the questions listed above.
The above documents are to be submitted using the "submit" button no later (firm deadline) than 21st of September 12:00 am.
Grading will be based on
- Structure and logic of your analysis. NOTE: Submissions over 7 pages will result in reduction in points.
- The oral presentation, taking into account specifically the delivery (understandability of the presentation), structure and clarity (such as the strength of the arguments put forward during the presentation), content (the quality of the slides) and length (presentations exceeding 8 minutes will result in reduction in points).
- 21 September at 12:00 (using the "Submit" button)
The above deadline is very strict.
The assignment must be completed in teams of 4 or 5 members.