Rendering Engine Prototype
Ats Kurvet, Martin Loginov
The main goal of our project is to test out different material shading techniques and to implement some form of physically based shading. We plan to create a room where the user can freely move around that is filled with different objects of various materials. Maybe a virtual museum of some sort.
The main challenges we face:
- Setting up the architecture for the shading and lighting pipeline
- Implementing what is most likely going to be an uber shader that encompasses properties needed to convey realistic surface definitions (from dielectrics to metals and most things in between).
- Figure out the most efficient way of implementing both direct and indirect lighting (including glossy reflections).
- Handling other effects such as anti-aliasing, tone mapping and HDR.
- As the chosen platform for the project is WebGL, we will have additional performance considerations and limitations from its specifications in relation to OpenGL capabilities that we have to work around.
- Code: https://github.com/mart1nl/pbshading